|MassBike’s Jimmy Pereira at the DSNI Playway|
To learn about specific playways, read about the two in which MassBike recently participated: the DSNI playway and the Mattapan Playway. Anyone can host a playway. Consider the following tips to plan yours:
- Involve residents in the planning process.
- Plan early.
- Identify the scope of the project. Typically playways are one or two blocks in size, but may increase as demand increases.
- Build relationships with local community groups, city hall, and the local police department. They will work with you to help ensure that your project is successful.
- Determine the permits you’ll need to make the project happen. Adding food or music in the public way may mean additional permits. Find the correct contacts for securing permits.
- Recruit volunteers to help with the event.
- Promote the event to residents and community stakeholders.
- Document the event and celebrate the successful day!