Fatal Crash In Brighton

Yesterday, August 9, 2010, around 4pm, a young woman was hit by a car while biking in Brighton. The Boston Police have confirmed that the cyclist has died. MassBike shares the heartbreak of the bicycling community whenever someone is killed or injured while riding a bike. Our sincere condolences go out to the young woman’s family.

At about 4:17pm, on Monday, August 9, 2010, officers from Area D-14 (Brighton) responded to a radio call for an accident involving a bicyclist being struck by a motor vehicle in the area of Warren Street and Commonwealth Ave. On arrival, officers located and observed a 24 year-old female victim being attended to and treated by EMS. The female victim, suffering from life threatening injuries, was transported to the Brigham & Women’s Hospital where she later succumbed to injuries and was pronounced. The cause of the accident is currently under investigation.

Preliminary reports are vague as to exactly how this tragedy occurred. MassBike will continue to follow the details as they emerge.

We urge everyone to exercise caution when cycling, including following all traffic laws, being very aware of your surroundings, and wearing a helmet.

, ,

16 Responses to Fatal Crash In Brighton

1. Jack August 10, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

With all due respect to the deceased, this is a perfect example of why traffic rules need to be enforced for cyclists. Think about the example you set for others every time you run a stop sign or a traffic light.

2. Britt August 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

Jack- it is very rude to assume that this cyclist was not obeying traffic laws or that accidents are caused by cyclists running red lights or stop signs. I believe that it is MOTORISTS who should learn to share the road with cyclists. Those on bikes are more vulnerable and are in fact using a form of transportation that will benefit our environment in the long run. When motorists learn to look for those on bikes, and accept that they also should be able to freely use the roads that they equally pay taxes for then maybe we will not experience tragedies such as this one. While you did not accuse the deceased of not obeying traffic laws, you implied it with your comment which is unnecessary and rude.

3. mike August 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

jack, there’s nothing in this article that puts the blame on the cyclist. that’s unfair of you, and just saying ‘with all due respect’ doesn’t make it ok.
    britt, cyclists can sometimes be to blame for their own accidents. you kind just implied the motorist was to blame here, contradicting yourself.
    in the end, it doesn’t matter. we both need to share the road, we both can learn from tragedies like this.
    i can’t stop thinking about her family, my heart goes out to them.

4. Britt August 10, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

I agree. I think I should have included that motorists should ALSO learn to share the road. I know there are respectful drivers and respectful bike riders out there.

5. Claire August 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm #

Britt and Mike,

While there was nothing in the sparce report to convey what happened, there are numerous reports having the decease riding w/o a helmet, with head phones, blowing through a red light. The “victim” here it the operator of the car who was simpling traveling down Warren/Kelton with a green light, only to have the cyclist appear in the intersection. Surely that person will never forget this.

Jack is exactly right and cyclist as a group need to influence changes in behavior including wearing helmets and stopping at red lights. If they continue to play chicken with cars and ride with a sense of entitlement, they will surely come out on the short end

6. anon August 11, 2010 at 12:49 am #

I hope you all realize that her family and friends are reading these news feeds. Stop making assumptions , did you ever stop to think that her breaks may have failed. She was going down a huge hill.

7. Claire August 11, 2010 at 6:47 am #

Forums such as this serve as a vehicle for the public to discuss and debate issues. They are not for people to filter their opinions to protect family and friends. On the off chance that her breaks did failed and she didn’t blow through the red light (which is common practice as far as I can see) isn’t that a compelling arguement why all cyclists should were helmits. I just don’t undertsand why so many don’t.

8. NMFriend August 11, 2010 at 10:06 am #

Claire, when it is your family or fiend who was killed and people are assuming all these things and don’t care about you, then you tell how great these forums are a vehicle for public debate. Thank you to all who have considered the family and what they are going through. To all of you who say she should of done this or that. Please just shut up! Her family is going through so much and does not to all the negative comments. Her mother and father LOST their oldest daughter! A beautiful young women who was just starting her life!

9. mike August 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

This is a tragedy for all involved–and will irrevocably change the lives of the survivors. Rather that seeking to “fix the blame”, we would do well to recognize the tragic impact and redouble our efforts to encourage safe behavior by all who travel on the roads.

10. Claire August 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm #

NMFriend, I stand by my comment. I do feel for the family and friends and have read the link highlighting what a great person Marly was. That is why I think we do a diservice to her memory if we don’t take this opportunity to highlight what a waste of such great potential this is that was so avoidable by a bit more defensive riding including wearing a helmet. There is just no reason to ride without

11. necco August 12, 2010 at 11:49 am #

The motorist should go to jail. I’m sick and tired of these drivers riding around with no respect for pedestrians. More often than not it is the motorists fault not the bicyclist. Frankly, I think parking tickets should raise into the hundreds of dollars, street parking in Boston should be eliminated and made into bike lanes and then maybe motorists will get the clue that they should probably turn the car in and learn to get around like the rest of us who travel by bike or MBTA.

12. Anon August 12, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

i saw the scene after the accident occurred. the car was going straight, not turning, so he must have had the right away. so unfortunately in this case, the biker, knowing that they are on a major road, should have be cautious about the speed and the multiple busy intersections. everyone should always be aware of their surroundings, share the road, and be safe. if anyone has any facts about this case, or updates, please post them.

i am sorry for the lost of this young individual and my heart goes out to her family and friends. we should all be able to share the road.

13. DigitalB3 August 12, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

WHAT is Boston’s BIKE CZAR doing? Is she accomplishing anything? I hear she is busy but I see nothing. Granted she has the cards stacked againt her and we’ll all keep smiling but enough deaths and injuries. She needs to be VISIBLE

14. him August 13, 2010 at 5:53 am #

As a witness, yes the victim did run a red light, which resulted in the accident. That being said, it was still a very tragic episode, and I send my condolences to the friends and family of the victim.

Bikers do need to realize that bikes are vehicles. They need to obey the rules of the road. Hopefully this tragic accident will raise the eyebrows of other Boston bikers.

15. Sylvain August 13, 2010 at 3:54 pm #

It is tragic and my condolences to the family and friends. The event was ruled an accident by the Boston Police, so it looks like there was no wrong doing from the driver.

I don’t own a car and ride my bike everyday and have witnessed many close calls. So far it’s unclear who’s the worst offender, driver or cyclist.

Boston is a jungle, drivers don’t respect traffic laws, cyclists don’t respect traffic laws (and don’t wear helmets!), pedestrians don’t respect the law either. The main reason is that they **can get away with it**. Unless the laws are strictly enforced, people will continue breaking them and get hurt.
    I have actually been waived by a policeman to go through a red light!

MAKE WEARING A HELMET MANDATORY AND START TICKETING!!!

16. Claire August 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

Sylvain,

I couldn’t agree more! There is no enforcement. I ride a scooter. It just seems like it is a free for all which creates an atmosphere that you onlt think you can predict is that you can’t predict behavior. That goes for people in cars, on motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, bicycles and pedestrians.

Instead of having police “work” construction detail, the city needs to have them enforcing the law. Imagine the revenue they could generate just through enforcement. But they couldn’t be bothered. I even asked a policemen parked in Back Bay on a motorcycle why they didn’t enforce a specific law. He hold me that I needed to contact City Hall. SERIOUSLY!!! Why should I have to contact City Hall to have the laws enforced??

Also in regards to helmets, we are legally bound to wear them on a scooter or moped…why not on a bicycle?