We are seeking some highly motivated instructors to teach our youth education programs, if you think you would find this interesting please see the job description below.
Safe Routes to School Bicycle Safety Instructor
The Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition (MassBike) is seeking part-time Instructors for our statewide Safe Routes to School (SRTS) children’s bicycle safety program. Instructors will report to and work closely with the Director of Education and Outreach.
MassBike is the statewide bicycling advocacy group for Massachusetts. MassBike promotes a bicycle-friendly environment, and encourages bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation. MassBike’s programs focus on promoting bicycle-friendly legislation; improving bicycle access and safety on roads and public transportation; educating bicyclists, motorists, children, and police about bicycling; encouraging bicycle commuting; and creating opportunities to ride together.
- Work part-time from 0 to 20+ hours per month depending on the number and location of participating schools, as directed by MassBike.
- Complete training program to become certified as a MassBike SRTS Instructor. Training is paid, and provided by MassBike.
- Teach the SRTS bicycle safety class to children in grades 4-8 in schools statewide. This is a fast-paced, high-energy, 45-minute presentation. Classes are often presented multiple times in one day at the same school.
- Coordinate class schedule with Director of Education and Outreach.
- Obtain class materials from MassBike as needed and distribute in schools as directed.
- Prepare report on each school as directed by MassBike.
- Collect student survey forms and return to MassBike.
- Associates degree or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Teaching or public speaking experience preferred.
- Experience teaching children ages 10-14 helpful.
- Strong interest and participation in bicycling preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent verbal communication skills required.
- Access to email.
- Current driver’s license and access to a car.
- Access to a bicycle in good repair and bicycle helmet (used as props during class).
- Availability to work during school hours, Monday-Friday, 7:30am-3:30pm
- Must pass Criminal Offenders Record Information (CORI) check.
Pay and Expenses:
Competitive hourly rate, plus reimbursement for mileage and tolls.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.